Protect your Kids!
Reproducing a post by my daughter Rajni Singh who is a special education teacher and specialises in teaching Children on the Autistic Syndrome.
”Many of you living in India would be aware by now that a class ninth student of Gundecha Education Academy ended her life by jumping from top floor of her building. Cause is unknown. We are no one to judge her or her family. Family is at loss and do not know as to why the young girl took this extreme step. I am jotting down some points that I went through while doing a course on special educaton and childhood emotional and mental trauma/disorders and subsequently during my teaching experience.
Some things whose awareness is yet to be established are,
1. A child is prone to depression much more than adults.
2.Till the age of 18, a child can be prone to mental illness , disorders and depression.
3. If a child is showing any kinds of withdrawls , sitting quiet for a long time, dreaming , sudden loss of attention span, too many distractions and not interested in anything, temper tantrums, bouts of anger or crying too easily on petty things , please do not ignore and sit with your child.
4. Take leave from work, go for a vacation. Leave everything and talk to him or her. No need to ask her why is she sad or aloof. Just discuss general things to encourage her to open up. Assure that you are there whatever happens.
5. Dont ask your child to adjust too much to any changes in life. Everyone has a level of adaptability. Let it happen at its pace.
6. No academics is important than your child’s mental and physical health.
7. Do not compare your child with others rather compare with herself/himself. Eg. When you did that test / sang a song/ played well last time etc are the questions that can be asked.
8. Children should play till the age they want to. Play is stress busters. Physical exercise is also a stress buster. If they dont get a chance to play due to less kids or weather, enroll them in some hobby class or pursue a sport.
9. If they like to dance and sing they should be encouraged to do that everyday.
10. Please dont burden them with school homework , tution homework and external classes homework. Their thinking will be curbed.
11. Talk about everything that we converse at home appropriately as per their level. Let them be aware of life’s dealings.
12. Listen to them too. If they dont want tutions / studies for a day or two, please give them that break. Explain the consequences of that break. Do not warn.
13. Allow and encourage them to befriend like minded kids . Let them meet their friends sometimes under supervision. Talk about their friends and their family. Allow child to gauge the nature of her friends so that she or he knows to judge correctly.
14. Probably many of us didnt witness or even heard such incidents because we had plenty of friends to talk and share our thoughts.
15. Nowadays because of growing instances of manhandling , sexual exploitation, abduction etc, we do not allow them to go down and play on their own. However, we need to make some time for this. Playing with their good FRIENDS and parental interaction with kids are critical
16. One of the best way to deal with a child having any addiction like media, bad company, drugs etc is by diverting him or her and keeping them busy with tasks or hobbies they are insterested in.
17. Building up their emotional intelligence and helping to manage their emotions is important.
18. Do not hesitate to take professional help if in doubt or if needed. Do not take things for granted by ignoring your child.
Every emotional turmoil can be sorted through right intervention and communication.
Life is priceless.”