I came across the following inspiring story, which symbolizes on how to make your life happy and sublime.
“A hermit seeking peace decides to meditate alone, away from his monastery. He takes his boat out to the middle of the lake, moors it there, closes his eyes and begins his prayers.
After a few hours of undisturbed silence, he suddenly feels the jolt of another boat colliding with his boat. Keeping his eyes still closed, he senses his anger rising, and by the time he opens his eyes, he is ready to shout at the person who disturbed his meditation.
But when he opens his eyes, he sees an empty boat that had probably got unhooked and moved to the middle of the lake. The monk introspects and realizes that the anger is within him; it merely needs the trigger of an external object to provoke it out of him.
From then on, whenever he comes across someone who irritates him or provokes him to anger, he reminds himself, “The other person is merely an empty boat. The anger is within me.”
Thus to make your life happy, one can attempt the following.
- Smile and laugh often. Enjoy every moment of your life.
- Do not be bothered about what others talk about you. Let them not irritate you, keep yourself calm and cool..
- Learn about new things and hobbies in life, you can continue learning till you are alive. Never let your brain idle.
- Enjoy the simple things of life like nature, smile of a child, bloom of a flower, sunshine, walking etc.
- Ups and down in life would happen, take them in your stride. Smile, this too shall pass.
- Always make friendship with positive people who smile, laugh and cut jokes and not with the doom’s day champions.
- Keep yourself healthy, adopt good eating and drinking habits.
- Never feel guilty about your mistakes, all of us make mistakes in life and learn.
- Do not feel jealous of others, love all and wish them well.
- Above all Live all the moments of your life and be grateful to the Lord for his benedictions.
Reminds me of a couplet from a famous Gazal sung by Mr Gulam Ali,
“ हर ज़र्रा चमकता है अनवारे इलाही से , हर साँस यह कहती है हम हैं तो खुदा भी है “
( Har Zarra chamkata hai inware illahi se, har sans yeh kahti hai ham hain to khuda bhi hai)
Means, Every particle on this earth shines with the light of the Divine and if we are alive, we can appreciate His presence.